Friday, March 10, 2006

"Is today the day?", the bird whispered.

Still reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". There is a section where they talked about how Morrie looks at life differently now that he is dying. Morrie mentions that Buddhists believes that a bird on their shoulder whispers to them daily, "Is today going to be the day?". It refers to death. By having this whispered question into one's daily life, one tends to think of things that really matter. I don't believe it means forget the dirty dishes, or the bills - but it makes one look at life differently. What if today's the day? What would you do?

I got into this topic because my neighbors, a couple who's become very close to me, recently disappeared for two weeks. Normally, they would let me know where they are going or planning to go. This case was a bit strange since they just disappeared without letting me know.

I found out last night that they had to fly home due to an emergency. The girl's father was murdered. Imagine the shock. I couldn't. I sensed even from just speaking with her that she is still shaken by the whole thing. It makes us wonder how short life is. I'm not saying that it is better if her father would have died of a heart attack or some illness, but at least - with a cause such as that - it would have closure. This one is open-ended and there are no suspects. So, my friend - Is today the day?

No comments: